Tuesday, December 9, 2008

TWD: Grandma's All-Occasion Sugar Cookies


Chosen perfectly for Christmas, this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection was made by Ulrike of Küchenlatein. Find the recipe there!

As you can see, I chose to make Christmas-shaped cookies. I don't even wish to discuss the amount of time I spent making these. Chill the dough, roll out the dough, now too soft to hold any shape, so put the dough back in the fridge, take the dough back out, cut the shapes, pick up the scraps, chill the scraps, etc.

At least they came out pretty though! I found some of them to be too hard, so I started doing batches with thicker dough, and it was much better that way.

Half of them I sprinkled with some sugar - these were my favorite.


The other half I spread with colored icing - very fun and festive looking.


Up next week - more cookies!

15 comments:

Sabrina said...

Very nice! But I agree... it was a labor of love. All that work for a few cookies, but by the looks of it you got a lot out of your batch.

Pamela said...

Thankfully, I didn't have too much trouble with this dough. I even rolled it while it was a bit soft and warm, just added more flour. I wanted it to be over!! :o)

Tina Butler said...

Those turned out really good. I love sugar cookies that have a colored glaze. I will have to make these with my kids.

Cathy said...

Oh, they look beautiful! I agree that the cut outs took a lot of time. We did a few cutouts and then I got lazy, rolled a dough log, and did some slice and bakes! I love both your sugar ones and your iced ones -- they are so festive!

Anonymous said...

Oh, time well spent...they look absolutely perfect! Beautiful job!

chocolatechic said...

I am glad that I didn't roll mine out then.

I took the easy way out.

Kristin said...

Very pretty! Slicing was much easier than cutting out. Bravo to you for sticking to it - they turned out beautiful!

Michelle A'etonu said...

all of your cookies turned out great! love the colored icing ones!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Mine kept getting soft too, so it took forever. I think I could have added a bit more flour and life would have been easier. The sugared ones would be my favorite also, but the iced ones are so pretty!
Nancy

Genevieve said...

Great Blog! You've reminded me to send my aunt the family sugar cookies recipe AND inspired me to make my own ravioli--I've wanted to do it for so long!

Cakelaw said...

These look great! Your shapes are perfect - you'd never know that you had issues with the softness of the dough (so did I!!).

NKP said...

I have never iced a cookie before, but I have seen so many iced ones this week - I want to try it soon!
Yours look so fun and festive.

Maria said...

Cute cookies! They turned out great!

Anonymous said...

That icing is absolutely gorgeous! Your cookies look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I totally went the easy and lazy route and did slice and bake cookies. Yours turned out cute.